In this tutorial, I explain how to install Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate on a GoDaddy hosting account.
The tutorial consists of the following three sections:
- Generating Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate [From Step 1 to Step 12]
- Installing Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate [From Step 13 to Step 22]
- Redirecting HTTP traffic to HTTPS [From Step 23 to Step 26]
Installing Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificate on GoDaddy Hosting
- Visit https://zerossl.com/
Click on CERTIFICATES AND TOOLS then click Start.
- Fill the required details in order to generate CSR (Certificate Signing Request).
Enter your email, the domain name (without WWW and with WWW), select HTTP verification method and accept the terms & conditions, then click Next.
- Download the generated CSR (Certificate Signing Request).
Click Download, then click Next to generate the RSA Key.
- Download the generated RSA Key.
Click Download, then click Next.
- Start the domain ownership verification process.
Download the two files by clicking the download icon buttons.
- Go to the cPanel Admin.
On your Godaddy account dashboard; Under My Hosting settings, click cPanel Admin.
- Open the file manager.
Under Files, click on File Manager.
- Create a new folder inside the public_html folder, and name it .well-known
Click on public_html, then click on + Folder.
- Create a new folder inside the .well-known folder, and name it acme-challenge.
Click on .well-known, then click on + Folder.
- Upload the verification files to the acme-challenge folder.
Click on acme-challenge, then click Upload.
- Verify that the verification files are accessible.
Click the links in the File column. If the newly opened browser tabs display text strings, click Next. If the browser couldn’t display the text strings due to permissions issue, make sure that you have created the .well-known folder inside the public_html folder.
- Download the domain certificate & domain key.
Click on the download icon button to download the domain certificate & domain key.
- Open the SSL/TLS Settings
Under Security, click on SSL/TLS.
- Go to Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS)
Click on Manage SSL Sites.
- Choose the domain of your website.
- Copy the domain certificate from ZeroSSL.
Click on the copy icon button.
- Paste the domain certificate into the Certificate: (CRT) Textarea.
After pasting the domain certificate into the Certificate: (CRT) Textarea, Left click inside the Textarea then scroll down till you find “—–END CERTIFICATE—–” and “—–BEGIN CERTIFICATE—–“.
Select the second certificate and Cut it.
- Paste the CABUNDLE into the Certificate Authority Bundle (CABUNDLE) Textarea.
Paste the certificate you have just Cut in the previous step into Certificate Authority Bundle (CABUNDLE) Textarea.
- Copy the domain private key from ZeroSSL
Click on the copy icon button.
- Paste the domain private key.
Paste the domain private key into the Private Key (Key) Textarea, then click Install Certificate.
- SSL Certificate Successfully Updated
- Visit your website to test the SSL Certificate installation.
Visit your website using “https://” before your domain name, and look for the green lock icon. Example: https://business-nuggets.com
- Install plugin to redirect HTTP traffic to HTTPS.
Hover over Plugins, and click Add New.
- Install Really Simple SSL Plugin.
In the textbox on the top right corner of the screen type “really simple” without the quotation marks, then click Install Now.
- Activate Really Simple SSL Plugin
Activate the plugin by clicking on Activate, then clicking Go ahead, activate SSL!
- Test Really Simple SSL Plugin
Visit your website using “http://” before the domain name, and the plugin will redirect it to “https://”.
Congratulations! you installed the SSL certificate successfully and redirected the HTTP Traffic to HTTPS.